Today in my Research Methods course, we spent some time looking at the What Works Clearinghouse for Education. There was a resource there that is of interest: Improving Adolescent Literacy: Effective Classroom and Intervention Practices. The current research is evaluated and compiled, and this practice guide was created. There are five recommendations.
1. Provide explicit vocabulary instruction
2. Provide direct and explicit comprehension strategy instruction
3. Provide opportunities for extended discussion of text meaning and interpretation
4. Increase student motivation and engagement in literacy learning
5. Make available intensive and individualized intervention for struggling readers that can be provided by trained specialists
I will send pdf via email. The document is 65 pages long.
I am going to start reading about number 4. That is such a big issue for so many of the students we see in the LC.